I develop using the BBC Micro:bit (which I’ll call a microbit from now on) using Linux. To get a new hex file on to the microbit, the microbit has to be mounted on to the file system. Which may seem obvious. But the microbit has a habit of unmounting itself after being programmed. Or not mounting when it is plugged in. So I wrote a script to make things easier. Because I can. To be more accurate, I copied a script from Stackoverflow and made a few minor modifications. Don’t pretend this isn’t how you have written a lot of your scripts.
Find the code at the bottom of this post. Copy and paste it to a file called microbit_manage.sh. Make the file executable (chmod +x ./microbit_manage.sh) and run using either ‘mount’ or ‘unmount’ as an argument. I’ve got these aliased to ‘mm’ and ‘md’ in my .bashrc.
bill@bill ~ $ microbit_manage.sh mount found one MICROBIT, device: /dev/sdb MICROBIT was unmounted Mounted /dev/sdb at /media/bill/MICROBIT. bill@bill ~ $ microbit_manage.sh unmount found one MICROBIT, device: /dev/sdb MICROBIT was mounted Unmounted /dev/sdb.
Comments and improvements welcome. The script is:
#!/bin/bash # microbit_manage.sh # mount and unmount microbit # modified from https://askubuntu.com/questions/342188/how-to-auto-mount-from-command-line # v1.0 matt oppenheim October 2017 BASEPATH="/media/$(whoami)/" MICRO="MICROBIT" if [ $# -eq 0 ] then echo "no argument supplied, use 'mount' or 'unmount'" exit 1 fi if [ $1 == "--help" ] then echo "mounts or unmounts a BBC micro:bit" echo "args: mount - mount the microbit, unmout - unmount the microbit" fi # how many MICRO found in udiksctl dump RESULTS=$(udisksctl dump | grep IdLabel | grep -c -i $MICRO) case "$RESULTS" in 0 ) echo "no $MICRO found in 'udkisksctl dump'" exit 0 ;; 1 ) DEVICELABEL=$(udisksctl dump | grep IdLabel | grep -i $MICRO | cut -d ":" -f 2 | sed 's/^[ \t]*//') DEVICE=$(udisksctl dump | grep -i "IdLabel: \+$DEVICELABEL" -B 12 | grep " Device:" | cut -d ":" -f 2 | sed 's/^[ \t]*//') DEVICEPATH="$BASEPATH""$DEVICELABEL" echo "found one $MICRO, device: $DEVICE" if [[ -z $(mount | grep "$DEVICE") ]] then echo "$DEVICELABEL was unmounted" if [ $1 == "mount" ] then udisksctl mount -b "$DEVICE" exit 0 fi else echo "$DEVICELABEL was mounted" if [ $1 == "unmount" ] then udisksctl unmount -b "$DEVICE" exit 0 fi fi ;; * ) echo "more than one $MICRO found" ;; esac echo "exiting without doing anything"
Prior to mounting the microbit, running the command:
gvfs-mount –listShould return a bunch of stuff, with a block like this in it:
Drive(1): MBED DAPLINK VFS Type: GProxyDrive (GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2) Volume(0): MICROBIT Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2)
This shows that the microbit is connected, but not mounted or usable by the file system.
After mounting the microbit using the above script, running:
gvfs-mount --listShould return something like:
Drive(1): MBED DAPLINK VFS Type: GProxyDrive (GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2) Volume(0): MICROBIT Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2) Mount(0): MICROBIT -> file:///media/bill/MICROBIT Type: GProxyMount (GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2)
Showing that the microbit is now mounted